In the crisper this week, I let my freak flag fly with a seriously delicious “green” smoothie recipe, so named because it includes — yup — a salad’s worth of leafy greens. Have you been bitten by the green smoothie bug? Find the full story here on Serious Eats, and click through below for a bonus recipe.
Recipe: Orange Blueberry Green Smoothie
“Green” smoothies are named for the addition of leafy greens and sometimes other vegetables to a sweet, delicious fruit smoothie. This one is easy to love, whether or not you’re a Popeye enthusiast.
- 2 clementines, peeled and seeded
- 2 small bananas, peeled
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 3 ounces (about 2 packed cups) baby spinach leaves
- 3 dried dates, pitted
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- If you’re using a regular blender, roughly chop the clementines, bananas, spinach, and dates. If you’re using a high-speed blender such as a Vitamix or Blendtec, simply place all ingredients in the blender in the order listed.
- Add 1 1/2 cups water to the blender. Blend until completely smooth, stopping to push ingredients toward the blades if necessary. Add a bit more water, if desired, to reach the smoothie consistency you prefer. This may be especially necessary if you’re using a regular blender. Divide between two tall glasses and serve immediately.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 2