Umami Girl is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn a commission. Learn more here.
We loved Blue Apron's seared wild salmon recipe with lemon labneh, set atop a mixture of freekeh, kale, & dates. My favorite part of this Blue Apron delivery was that although I love all of these ingredients individually, I'd never have thought to put them together this way. It's fun to take part in someone else's culinary vision right in your own kitchen.
We also appreciated the built-in portion control and low-waste aspects of this meal delivery service.
- ½ cup cracked freekeh
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and leaves finely chopped
- 2 Medjool dates, chopped
- ¼ cup labneh cheese
- 1 lemon, zested and halved
- 2 skin-on wild salmon fillets
- Salt and pepper
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to the boil. Add the freekeh and cook, uncovered, 22 to 25 minutes, until tender. Drain and return to pot. Set aside in a warm place.
- Meanwhile, in a medium nonstick pan, warm two teaspoons of the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until very fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add kale, in batches if necessary, along with some salt and pepper. Cook for a minute or two, until beginning to wilt. Add dates along with ½ cup of water. Continue cooking, stirring from time to time, until kale is tender and water has evaporated. Add kale mixture to the freekeh and stir to combine. Squeeze in juice of half the lemon.
- In a small bowl, stir together the labneh and juice of remaining half lemon. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Wipe out the pan used for the kale and warm remaining two teaspoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Season salmon fillets generously with salt and pepper, then place skin-side down in hot skillet. Cook undisturbed for 5 minutes or so, until skin is browned and crisp. Gently flip fillets and cook a minute or two more, until salmon is done to your liking.
- Divide freekeh mixture between two plates. Top each with a salmon fillet and some lemon labneh. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 525Total Fat: 18.7gCarbohydrates: 52.4gFiber: 7.8gProtein: 41.3g