This week on The Crisper Whisperer, an adaptation of The Silver Palate Cookbook’s zucchini bread using half whole-wheat flour and, in place of zucchini, hairy gourd (aka fuzzy squash, fuzzy melon, or Mo Qua). Enjoy!
Hairy Gourd Bread
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups peeled, grated raw fuzzy squash (or zucchini or other summer squash)
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup shelled walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Butter for greasing the pan
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously butter a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan.
In a large bowl, beat the eggs, oil, sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer until light and thick, about 5 minutes. Gently squeeze any excess moisture out of the grated squash and fold the squash into the egg mixture.
Sift the dry ingredients together. Fold into the wet ingredients until just combined. Fold in the walnuts.