As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This satisfying meal of fried eggs with creamy spinach and toast soldiers makes an equally good breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner. Easily scale it down or up to suit your crowd. Once upon a transitional time, it made us feel at home in all the right ways in our Seville Airbnb after a sketchy stint in Malaga, and I'll always remember it fondly.
With just a few ingredients, it pays to use the best eggs, vegetables, and dairy products you can find.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 ounces baby spinach
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Pinch of cayenne pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- Plenty salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 eggs
- 2 slices multigrain toast
- Heat one tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat in a nonstick or well-seasoned frying pan. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for one minute more.
- Add the spinach, in batches if necessary, and cook until wilted. If there's a lot of liquid in the pan at this stage, you may wish to pour it off. (Sometimes there is, sometimes there isn't -- depends on the spinach.)
- Add the nutmeg, cayenne, heavy cream, cream cheese, and some salt and pepper. Stir to combine well. Simmer until the sauce is reduced enough to mostly cling to the spinach. Taste for salt and pepper and divide between two shallow bowls.
- Wipe out the frying pan. Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Fry the eggs in the pan to your liking, and slide two eggs into each bowl. Cut the toast into strips ("soldiers," as the English call them) for dipping into the yolk and cream, and garnish each bowl with a few. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 354Total Fat: 21.1gCarbohydrates: 31.2gFiber: 5.5gProtein: 13.3g