Peppers and Onions Scrambled Eggs
This 10-minute meal of scrambled eggs with peppers and onions, cheese and hot sauce with a generous sprinkle of cilantro works equally well for breakfast or dinner. Which may be why we can't stop making it.
Cotija cheese is a crumbly white cheese made primarily from cow's milk. It's available in a lot of big supermarkets in the U.S., but you can substitute feta if you can't find it.
A great hangover breakfast
Here's something I probably shouldn't put in writing: One day a couple of weeks ago, our tween daughter had a helluva cough and plowed through a whole bag of mentholated cough drops in one day. By that night she was MUCH more giggly than usual, especially for someone not feeling so well. "I think I'm high on cough drops!" she said, laughing and dancing around the kitchen. We all thought it was pretty funny and didn't make a big deal out of it. I didn't even Google whether it was possible to be high on mentholated cough drops.
The next morning she slept really late, and when she woke up she asked for a big plate of eggs with peppers and onions and cheese and hot sauce. In other words, hangover food.
The worst part is, I'm not even sorry it happened, because this meal is damn good. I've made it a couple more times since, and it always hits the spot. Even if you're not recovering simultaneously from an illness and a cough drop problem. Even if you're not recovering from anything, but when is that really ever the case?
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Cholula or other hot sauce, to taste
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a 10-inch nonstick skillet. Add peppers and onions along with a good pinch of salt. Cook for a few minutes, until softened to your liking. Meanwhile, scramble the eggs in a medium bowl.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Pour eggs into the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until set. Divide between two plates and top with cheese, cilantro, hot sauce to taste as well as more salt if you like and some freshly ground black pepper.