As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Creamy vegan tomato soup is dreamy tomato soup, period. By way of proof, it pairs beautifully with a grilled cheese sandwich. The fact that it’s vegan, and better for you than its dairy-based counterpart, is really just a bonus.
Homemade cashew cream, which contributes to the creaminess of this soup, is kind of a magic ingredient. You can learn all about how to use it and make (in no-time flat!) in this popular post.
For a creamy vegan tomato soup of a whole different kind, you’ll love our classic Andalusian gazpacho recipe.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup raw cashews (soaked overnight in the fridge and then rinsed well, if desired)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 6 cups diced canned tomatoes with juices (or try using fresh tomatoes during the summer, though I haven\'t tested the recipe this way)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (if using unsalted tomatoes)
- Bouquet garni*
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a heavy 5-quart pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- While the onion cooks, combine the cashews and vegetable stock in a blender. Blend until completely smooth.
- Add the garlic to the pot and cook, stirring, for one minute. Add the tomatoes and their juices, the cashew mixture, the salt, if using, and the bouquet garni. Bring soup to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes. Remove bouquet garni and stir in nutritional yeast.
- Using an immersion blender or in batches in the regular blender, puree the soup until it's as smooth as you like it. (This step isn't necessary if you like a more textured soup.) Taste for salt and add freshly ground pepper to taste. Serve hot. Keeps well in the fridge for up to 3 days.
For the bouquet garni, place a few sprigs of fresh thyme, a few sprigs of fresh parsley, a few whole black peppercorns, and a bay leaf in a square of cheesecloth and tie it together to make a little bundle.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 309Total Fat: 17gCarbohydrates: 36.4gFiber: 7.1gProtein: 10.4g