As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Why hello there from the caboose of the white bean train. (And thanks in advance for not abandoning this post after that intro, mmm’kay?) Last week was all about white beans (dip! epic sandwiches! crostini!), and you may have thought we’d leave well enough alone after the weekend. But here’s one more noteworthy recipe that you won’t want to miss: brown-butter white bean purée. It makes a warm, savory bed for everything from the reverse-sear pork chops pictured here to scallops to chicken to infinity and beyond. (Buzz Lightyear sold separately.)
You can use canned beans here or dried beans cooked from scratch.
How to cook beans
This recipe starts with cooked white beans. You can use canned, and that’s 100% fine, but beans cooked from scratch with lots of tasty aromatics really shine here too. (Here’s how to cook a pound of dried beans.) No presh either way. Just sayin.
Happy Monday, happy tail end of this riveting white-bean-intensive period of our lives, and talk to you soon.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 cups cooked white beans (such as Great Northern or Cannellini)
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- Big squeeze lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons good salted, cultured butter (such as Kerrygold)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a medium pot.
- Add shallot, garlic and thyme and cook, stirring occasionally, for about two minutes.
- Stir in beans and stock. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove thyme sprigs and puree with an immersion blender until perfectly smooth.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt butter and then cook until foaming subsides and butter solids turn brown at bottom of pan. Swirling the pan gently can help you see what’s going on under there.
- When butter is golden brown and smells spectacularly nutty, remove pan from heat.
- Stir brown butter into bean puree.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 223Total Fat: 10.5gCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 6.9gProtein: 8.4g