Chickpea Salad with Indian Spices and Herbs
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Here’s a fabulous, easy-breezy chickpea salad that’s bursting with cumin, mustard seed, cilantro, lemony yogurt dressing and more. Best at room temperature, it’s perfect for picnics or a quick lunch or dinner. People love it, and it’s not the same old same old. (Though it’s just as quick and easy.)
In salads, when we want the convenience of canned beans , we like to use Goya brand since they’re just the right amount firm-tender.
- 2 15-oz. cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons peanut, safflower or other neutral oil
- 1 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
- 3/4 cup whole milk Greek yogurt
- Zest of 1 lemon, plus juice of half
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Place the chickpeas in a large bowl.
- In a small skillet, heat the oil until shimmering.
- Add the mustard seeds, partially cover the skillet and cook over medium-high heat until the mustard seeds almost stop popping, about a minute.
- Add the cumin and fennel seeds and cook for another minute.
- Pour the hot oil and spices over the chickpeas.
- Stir in the yogurt, lemon zest and juice, scallions, cilantro and salt. Serve at room temperature.