Peppers and Onions: An Easy, Versatile Side Dish
I grew up eating peppers and onions as a side dish for Italian sausages, and these days we serve them with — or in — a wide variety of dishes, from tacos to grain bowls. They’re so easy and just so good.
Why we love this recipe
This side dish couldn’t be simpler, yet its bright, colorful, sweet and savory vibe adds so much to your plate. They’re ready in under 30 minutes and keep well in the fridge, so they’re great for batch cooking and meal prep.
They go well with so many meals, from tacos to roast chicken to grain bowls.
They’re naturally vegan, gluten-free, low in fat, and just generally great for your bod.
Peppers and onions ingredients
The ingredients list is short and sweet. You’ll need:
- A nice big yellow onion
- Three bell peppers. You can use any kind you like, but we love the sweetness and vibrant colors of red, orange, and yellow peppers together
- A little salt. You can use good old fine sea salt, and we sometimes like to jazz things up with an herb salt (like my mom’s homemade basil salt or this herb salt).
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
How to make peppers and onions
This recipe is seriously easy. Here’s what you’ll do. You can watch all of the steps in action in the video that accompanies this post.
- Peel and halve the onion from root to tip, discarding ends. Then cut it into slices (also from root to tip).
- Quarter the bell peppers and remove the inner white ribs and seeds, then slice the peppers.
- Heat the olive oil in a 12-inch frying pan over medium-high.
- Add the peppers and onions, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring once in a while, for about 15 minutes. It’s up to you how soft and browned you want it all to get. We like our peppers fairly soft and our onions with some nice gentle brown spots here and there.
What to serve with this recipe
We love peppers and onions with a wide variety of main dishes. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Vegetarian black or pinto bean tacos
- Garlic shrimp tacos
- Crispy potato tacos
- Ground pork tacos
- Carne asada tacos
- Refried bean quesadillas
- Shrimp and spinach quesadillas
- Taco bowls
- Halloumi, broccolini, and lentil dinner bowls
- Good old Italian sausages (or smoked chicken sausages)
- Roast chicken
- 1 large yellow onion
- 3 medium bell peppers (we aim for red, orange, and yellow)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt (or herb salt if you like)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Peel, halve, and slice the onions from root to tip.
- Quarter the peppers, discard seeds and ribs, and slice.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a 12-inch frying pan.
- Add peppers, onions, salt, and plenty of freshly ground pepper.
- Cook, stirring from time to time, for 15 to 20 minutes, until peppers are as soft as you like and onions have softened and browned in spots.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.