There are a lot of adjectives in the title of this recipe. I know it. I almost added “briny,” too — but it was just too much. I’m not sorry, though maybe I should be. It’s just that I need you to know there’s a lot more going on in this dish than meets the eye. Especially because, to be honest, I photographed the leftovers warmed up in the microwave the day after. We’d already picked out most of the delicious bits. I hadn’t even planned on posting what was supposed to be a run-of-the-mill Sunday dinner. But then we tasted it, and it was more game changer than mill runner. So. Spaghetti with Garlicky, Lemony, Creamy Kale. (And a potato and maybe some olives or capers.) I just thought you should know.
Oh hey again. While you were looking at that picture, I was thinking about how to take advantage of the fact that we’re already in oversharing mode right now. Fun question, right? Not for, like, all the time, but once in a while.
- I just watched this and ended up weeping tears of joy and shouting ever so slightly at my laptop screen. Later, when I vote in the NJ primary, my eyes will well up again. Because democracy never gets old, even when it gets medium-shitty.
- Odds are reasonably good I’ll be topping the twice-reheated dregs of this spaghetti with leftover, not-even-homemade seven layer dip and calling it lunch. Although getting that out of my system and onto the screen may have been enough. [Update: Happened.]
- What else? I’ve never seen the Grand Canyon.
Now it’s your turn. Just kidding, I know no one comments on blogs anymore. You get a free pass to just do you. And maybe make this for dinner, and we’ll call it even.
See you soon.
Spaghetti with Garlicky, Lemony, Creamy Kale
I didn't set out to post about this last-minute Sunday dinner, but we liked it so much that I couldn't resist. It's a tad on the indulgent side for a kale recipe, but I'm not the least bit sorry.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 yukon gold potato, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup capers or chopped olives, if you like
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 pounds Lacinato kale
- 1 pound spaghetti
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup grated Pecorino Romano, plus more for serving
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper