Balsamic Strawberries with Whipped Cream
Do you know about this little trick, mixing berries with a splash of balsamic vinegar to make them positively the berriest version of themselves? It’s a great end-of-season tip, but it works anytime for bringing strawberries and blueberries to technicolor life.
You won’t taste the balsamic in balsamic strawberries. You’ll just taste extra strawberry, with a depth and earthiness that’s hard to put your finger on but easy to appreciate.
Good old supermarket-quality balsamic vinegar does the trick here. Save the fancy stuff for other uses.
- 2 quarts strawberries (about 3 pounds to yield 8 cups sliced)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Splash of vanilla extract
- Stem and slice strawberries and place in a mixing bowl. Gently stir in balsamic to coat berries. Let sit while you make the whipped cream (or up to a day in the fridge).
- Beat cream with sugar and vanilla until thick and fluffy. Spoon berries into serving bowls and top with whipped cream.