Umami Girl is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
This beet salad recipe with creamy avocado, lots of crunch, and some great little sweet and savory bits would make a great start to a fall or winter dinner party. It would work well with other Thanksgiving flavors. It would bring a little freshness to the table. It would stain, if you had to throw it at an out-of-hand uncle. Not that I’m advocating anything like that.
Or mainline it for nutrient value. Whatever you need.
Raw beets have a light crunch and a more delicate earthy flavor and sweetness than cooked beets. We think they're underutilized.
- 1 head radicchio
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, divided
- 2 medium raw beets (two different colors if available)
- ¼ medium red onion
- 1 large stalk celery
- 1 ripe avocado
- Juice of ½ lime
- ½ cup walnut pieces
- 2 ounces crumbled feta cheese, optional
- Balsamic glaze
- Flaky sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Quarter and core the radicchio. Cut each quarter into long, thin shreds. Place in a large mixing bowl and if you're plating individual salads, toss with 1 teaspoon each olive oil and balsamic vinegar and a nice pinch of salt. Divide among four serving plates.
- Wash, trim and peel the beets. Slice them as thin as possible, then stack the slices and cut in half to make half-moons. A mandoline is great to use here if you have one. Place in the same large bowl and toss with another teaspoon each of oil and vinegar and a sprinkle of salt. Divide dressed slices among the serving plates and arrange as you like. Slice the avocado, squeeze lime juice overtop and arrange a few slices on each plate.
- Slice the red onion as thin as you can and toss with remainder of vinegar. Sprinkle some onion slices over each plate. Slice the celery stalk into thin half-moons and divide among plates. Sprinkle walnuts over salads, along with feta if using.
- Drizzle balsamic glaze over each salad along with the remaining teaspoon of olive oil. Sprinkle with flaky salt and pepper.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 167Total Fat: 11.9gCarbohydrates: 13.2gFiber: 4.7gProtein: 4.2g