Raw Beet Salad with Walnuts and Goat Cheese
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This sweet, savory and earthy raw beet salad recipe with walnuts and fresh goat cheese comes together in about 15 minutes and looks gorgeous at the table.
Raw beets have a milder flavor than their cooked counterparts, plus a pleasing crunch. The combination of earthy, sweet, tangy, and savory flavors in this recipe gets the balance just right.
A beautiful and nourishing raw beet salad
Having just spent the past half hour reading about the passing of Edward Kennedy and the deep and sprawling Kennedy family legacy, the question of whether I liked beets as a kid does not register as particularly profound. I didn’t. But now I do. Even raw beets. So does my four-year-old, now that she’s tasted this beet salad. But that’s all I plan to say about that.
I have a feeling you’ll like it, too — especially if your summer, like mine, has been at least as much Kennedian excess as it has been civil rights activism. At least as much. This sweet and savory salad, which comes together in a flash but tastes of depth and complexity, offers all the health benefits of unadulterated beets plus a surprisingly long-burning source of energy. You know, in case you decide to work a little harder on your legacy come autumn.
- 3 cups julienned raw beets from 2 to 3 beets, depending on size (see instructions)
- 1/2 small red onion, peeled
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- A few good grinds black pepper
- 2 ounces fresh goat cheese
- Microgreens to garnish, optional
- Trim and peel the beets. Cut beets and onion on the julienne blade of a mandoline slicer, or grate them on a box grater if you don't have a mandoline.
- In a small, dry frying pan, toast the walnuts over medium heat for a few minutes, tossing occasionally, until fragrant and lightly browned in spots.
- Place beets, onion, walnuts, and orange zest in a medium mixing bowl. Add the oil, vinegar, orange juice, mustard, salt, and pepper, and toss to combine.
- Plate salad in a large serving bowl or individual bowls and top with crumbled goat cheese and microgreens.