As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
We first put together this lovely pea shoots salad for our friends in their beautiful Toronto kitchen after a visit to the Evergreen Brick Works Farmers’ Market. We fell in love with delicately flavored and textured pea shoots while living in London, where they’re commonly available in supermarkets. They’re worth seeking out, but if you can’t find them, substitute baby spinach or watercress (for a stronger flavor) in this salad.
Pea shoots are really something special, but if you can’t find them, this salad would be great with baby spinach or — to take it in a different direction — watercress.
For the salad
- 4 big handfuls pea shoots
- 2 cooked beets, peeled and diced
- 1/8 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 ounces Manchego cheese, shaved with a vegetable peeler
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
For the dressing
- 2 teaspoons grainy mustard
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Good pinch of fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Assemble all salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and give it a gentle toss.
- Serve right away with some good bread.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 244Total Fat: 19.9gCarbohydrates: 13.3gFiber: 4.4gProtein: 6.2g