As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Roast cauliflower and chickpeas together on a sheet pan. Toss with buttery, vinegary Buffalo sauce. Serve on a salad or as finger food with creamy blue cheese dressing. Aww yeah.
This recipe isn’t battered and it isn’t fried. It’s all about the taste and the real, satisfying, whole-food ingredients.
Every few years I get totally into this buffalo cauliflower and roasted chickpeas salad. It isn’t highbrow, let’s just start with that. The components are honest — cauliflower, chickpeas, greens, tomatoes, some good-quality blue cheese. And look, I even made it appear somewhat respectable in the photos. But at its core this thing is a big, beautiful mess.
In a good way. I think.
An honest crunch
You’ll find some battered and fried buffalo cauliflower recipes out there and some battered and baked ones, too. This isn’t one of those. These chickpeas and cauliflower florets come by their modest crunch honestly.
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 15.5-ounce can chickpeas, drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon Frank's Red Hot Original, plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 ounces good-quality blue cheese (such as Roquefort), crumbled
- 4 cups baby spinach or other greens, optional
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes, optional
- Preheat oven to 425°F with a rack in the center.
- Toss the cauliflower florets and the chickpeas with the olive oil on a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Roast, turning once halfway through, until the cauliflower is tender and browned in spots, about 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, vinegar, and blue cheese in a small bowl. Stir all ingredients together with a fork, breaking up any large chunks of blue cheese as you go.
- Mix together the melted butter and Frank's Red Hot in a small bowl.
- Pour over the cauliflower and chickpeas and toss to combine. Serve immediately, either on a platter with the dressing on the side or tossed with the greens and tomatoes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 386Total Fat: 26.8gCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 9.1gProtein: 13.7g