As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Our family has two favorite kale salad recipes. The first one is a simple side salad that we’ll happily eat with virtually any meal. The second one (which was the first to enter our lives chronologically, and something in me needs to let you know that, okay sorry bye) is a complete meal in a bowl. You’re looking at it right here.
This salad works well with lacinato or green curly kale, whichever you prefer and can find. It’s got our favorite dressing massaged into the leaves. And then. You guys. We roast potatoes and treat them like croutons. We pan-fry cubes of halloumi cheese to savory, crisp-tender perfection. (To make this salad vegan, leave out the cheese and maybe sub with salt and pepper tofu.) We toss in some chickpeas, corn kernels, and some seriously umami-rich Moroccan oil-cured olives. We sprinkle with nutritional yeast. We maybe do a little dance of joy. And that’s all.
These days we prefer curly kale in this salad, but in early days (and the photo), we used lacinato kale. They’re both good choices.
- 3 medium potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 5 ounces cooked corn kernels
- 1 large bunch green curly kale
- 1 batch Magic Blender Dressing
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and dried
- 1/3 cup pitted black Moroccan oil-cured olives, roughly chopped
- 1 8-ounce package halloumi cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Heat oven to 400° F with a 12-inch cast-iron skillet (or a rimmed sheet pan) on a rack in the center. When preheated, carefully toss potato cubes with two tablespoons of the olive oil and a generous pinch of salt in the skillet. Spread potatoes evenly over the pan surface to avoid crowding. Roast for about 20 minutes, turning with a spatula halfway through, until crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. Set aside to cool.
- While potatoes roast, prepare corn (microwaving from frozen is fine!) Strip washed and dried kale from its stems and tear into small bite sized-pieces. Place in a large bowl. Pour in about 1/4 cup of dressing and, using your hands, massage dressing into kale. This process will tenderize the kale and reduce its volume by almost half. Add chickpeas and olives to the bowl.
- Place a 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat and warm the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Add the halloumi cubes and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned on most sides and warmed through. Add the cheese and potatoes to the salad bowl.
- Pour a little more vinaigrette onto the salad and toss all ingredients together gently. Sprinkle on the nutritional yeast and toss once more. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 372Total Fat: 22.9gCarbohydrates: 32.5gFiber: 7.7gProtein: 12.7g