So. There’s no easy way into this conversation. We’re massaging our salads now. You’re looking at a picture of a massaged kale salad, and that’s a fact. I haven’t had a massage in years. But my greens can’t do yoga to keep themselves supple, so I give them what they need. That’s the life of a mom. Always putting the needs of your family first.
We love kale salads around here. You can find my go-to recipe for a hearty kale salad that makes a whole meal here, along with my magic blender dressing. There’s halloumi, olives, roasted potato croutons, and more. You need that salad.
I’ve also found that I need a kale salad without so much fanfare. One that’s happy to sit alongside the rest of a meal. One that’s ready in five minutes and doesn’t require a magic blender. (Heh.) That’s where this simple massaged kale salad comes in. We’ve been eating it many a night, and honestly I can’t wait to eat it again tonight. Maybe with another of these Caprese sandwiches, which I also can’t stop eating. Summer is the best. That is all.
See you soon.
Simple Massaged Kale Salad
Massaging the lemon juice, olive oil and salt into the kale leaves tenderizes them so much that curly kale suddenly makes sense for a salad. It also cuts the volume by at least half, so don't be deterred by the initial bulk of pure greenage.
- 1 large bunch curly kale
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Tear the kale leaves from their stems and break into bite-sized pieces. Wash and dry thoroughly. (Discard stems or save for juicing or pesto.)
- Sprinkle the oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper over the kale and use your hands to massage the dressing into the leaves. Do this however you like -- you really can't go wrong. In a minute or two, you'll have a tender, delicious salad.
- If you like, sprinkle with a generous amount of nutritional yeast for a pop of umami that beautifully complements the earthy kale, fruity olive oil and tangy lemon juice.