Naan Pizza Recipe: Margherita Flatbread
Naan pizza. Are you skeptical? So was I. But lo, it's good.
You know what else is good? Having a family-friendly dinner on the table in 20 minutes, with no pans to wash, because you cook naan pizza Margherita right on the oven rack. Boom.
Cooking the pizzas right on the oven rack not only saves on dishwashing, it crisps up the naan perfectly while the toppings cook.
What is naan pizza?
Between my Italian relatives and the people I follow on social media, whom I don't know but don't not know (Adam, for example), there's a lot of potential reputational downside to coming out in favor of something like naan pizza. My Italian relatives are loud people, too. So if I hear about this, so may you.
I don't know what possessed me to try these little buggers, though I think it's the same kind of impulse that gives you a hard time looking away from a traffic accident. But all of that holier-than-thou attitude turned out to be for naught. And what we have here, when you come right down to it, is a woman who's acting like kind of a jerk standing next to a really tasty personal pizza. Or call it Margherita flatbread if it helps. That is all.
The only Naan Pizza recipe tips you'll need are:
- to brush the naan with olive oil before topping
- to be reasonably frugal, but not stingy, with the toppings
- and to bake the pizzas directly on the rack so the naan crisps up underneath.
That last tip doubles as a genius move that leaves you without a pan to wash.
That's all I've got, and regardless of any flack I may get, I'm gonna call it: it's enough. 🙂
- 4 garlic naan
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup grated pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Torn fresh basil leaves, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F with a rack in the center.
- Brush olive oil over the surface of the naan. In a small bowl, stir together the tomato paste and tomato sauce. Spread sauce over naan.
- Sprinkle 2/3 of the pecorino over tomato sauce. Arrange mozzarella overtop.
- Place pizzas directly on oven rack and bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining pecorino, some pepper and basil if desired. Serve immediately, cut into slices of whatever size and shape you like you like.