If you’ve been looking for an easy vegan cheese sauce that works as a queso-like dip, a drizzle for nachos, and lots more, we’ve got the answer to your wildest dreams. We crave this stuff on the regular and can’t get enough.
Smooth, creamy, satisfying vegan cheese sauce
Let’s start here: Although I’m trained as a lawyer, I wouldn’t want to be the mediator in a negotiation between cheese and veganism. There are strong arguments for both, and I love them both dearly. Yet they have a REALLY tough time getting along. For the most part, vegan cheese is all overpromise and underdeliver.
That changes now.
What we love about this recipe
- This vegan cheese sauce is flavorful, versatile, and creamy.
- It’s got just the right consistency and balance of flavors.
- Made with raw cashews and nutritional yeast, it’s full of good fats and micronutrients.
- After soaking the cashews in water, it comes together quickly and easily in a blender. (We use our Vitamix.)
- It keeps well in the fridge for a week.
- It’s great warm or at room temperature.
Ingredients for vegan cheese sauce
To make this vegan queso you’ll need:
- Raw cashews (not roasted, not salted). You can use cashew pieces rather than whole cashews if they’re less expensive, since you’ll be blending them anyway.
- Diced green chiles, either mild or hot (we usually use mild)
- Nutritional yeast
- Vegetable broth
- Fresh garlic
- White miso paste
- Chili powder
- Ground cumin
How to make vegan queso
This is one simple recipe! You’ll just need a little time to soak the cashews, and a high-speed blender. You can see the steps in action in the video that accompanies this post. You will:
- Soak the cashews in water for two hours or so to ensure they’ll blend up nice and creamy.
- Drain all the soaking water.
- Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender.
- Blend until perfectly smooth.
How to use our cheese sauce
Here are a few of our favorite ways to use this creamy vegan cheese sauce:
- As a queso-like dip for tortilla chips
- As a sauce for veggie nachos (or totchos!)
- On our favorite vegan tacos
- To mix into macaroni for a low-key Mexican-flavored mac and cheese
- To dollop over rice and beans
Cheese sauce recipe protips
This recipe couldn’t be easier, but here are a few protips to make it the best it can be
- Be sure to buy raw cashews (not roasted ones) and don’t skip soaking them. That’s the key to creaminess. We have one of those instant hot taps in our kitchen, so we’ll often soak in near-boling water. In that case you can reduce the soaking time to 30 minutes.
- Use a high-speed blender if you have one. It creates perfect smoothness and heats up the cheese sauce a little bit as a bonus.
- Use mild or spicy hatch chilies to create a chill vibe or a hotter one
- Vegan queso will keep, tightly sealed, in the fridge for about a week.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 4-ounce can hatch chilies (mild or spicy)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon white miso
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Soak cashews in water to cover by an inch or two, for at least two hours. Drain before proceeding.
- Combine all ingredients in a high-speed blender and process on high, scraping down the sides if necessary, until perfectly smooth and warm.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 126Total Fat: 8.3gCarbohydrates: 8.4gFiber: 1.9gProtein: 5.6g