Zucchini Bread Pancakes
We're huge fans of savory zucchini fritters. Like total, can't-get-enough, head-over-heels fans. But if there's one thing that's not in short supply in summertime, it's zucchini. Yay for making room for all kinds of great zucchini-filled foods.
Like disappearing zucchini orzo, let's say. Or these zucchini bread pancakes. They're a breakfast dream, lightly sweet and spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla.
Zucchini bread pancakes have all the cozy flavors of zucchini bread, but they're lighter on the flour, sugar, and oven time. Win win.
- 2 fairly large zucchini (about 3 cups shredded and loosely packed)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Safflower or other neutral oil for the skillet
- Butter and maple syrup, for serving
- Shred the zucchini on the large holes of a box grater or in a food processor with the shredding disk. Place the shredded zucchini in a colander in the sink and sprinkle with the salt. Toss to combine. Let drain for 30 minutes, then pick up by the handful and squeeze out as much moisture as possible. Place on a kitchen towel or double layer of paper towels.
- In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Beat well with a fork. Add the drained zucchini and mix together. Sprinkle the flour and baking powder on top and mix with a fork just until well combined.
- Coat a skillet with a small amount of oil and set over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, drop the batter into the pan by heaping tablespoonful. Cook for about three minutes on the first side, until nicely browned. Flip and cook for about two minutes more. Place the cooked pancakes on a rack and repeat with the remaining oil and batter. Serve with butter and maple syrup, if desired (though they're quite sweet on their own).
Lodge Pro-Grid Cast Iron Grill and Griddle Combo. Reversible 20" x 10.44" Grill/Griddle Pan with Easy-Grip Handles
Lodge 10.5 Inch Cast Iron Griddle. Pre-seasoned Round Cast Iron Pan Perfect for Pancakes, Pizzas, and Quesadillas.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.