Zuni Cafe’s Shredded Radicchio with Anchovy Vinaigrette, Bread Crumbs, & Sieved Eggs
This inventive salad bears the mark of all food from Judy Rodgers' iconic Zuni Cafe in San Francisco: it's the ideal version of itself. Serve Zuni Cafe's shredded radicchio with anchovy vinaigrette, bread crumbs, and sieved eggs as-is or with some seared scallops. You can read the details of my unrequited crush on the restaurant here, where I first shared this recipe — or just get cooking below.
The hardest part of making this salad is cleaning the grater or strainer, but trust us — it's worth it.
- 3/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 1 large shallot, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium heads radicchio (about 12 ounces)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- Preheat the oven or toaster oven to 400° F. Drizzle one tablespoon of the olive oil over the breadcrumbs and toss, kneading slightly with your fingers, to distribute. Spread the breadcrumbs on a sheet pan or toaster oven pan and bake for 6 minutes (or a bit longer in the toaster oven) or until golden in spots, tossing once or twice if necessary. Cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining olive oil, vinegar, anchovies, shallot, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove any wilted outer leaves from the radicchio. Wash, dry, quarter and core each head. Slice each quarter crosswise into 1/8-inch slices. Place in a salad bowl, tossing to separate slices. Toss in the breadcrumbs. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad and toss.
- Either grate the egg on the finest holes of a box grater or press it through a mesh sieve. Toss gently into the salad. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. Serve immediately.