Bagels and Lox Deviled Eggs
Oh hi, did you want to combine the very best of the very best classic brunch buffet items — bagels and lox and deviled eggs — into a dreamy two-bite wonder?
I did. So I did.
How to make bagels and lox deviled eggs
We incorporated all our favorite elements of a great bagels and lox platter into this savory, fun deviled egg variation. Bagels and lox deviled eggs are an equally good contender to prep and serve fully dressed, and also to include in a deviled egg bar where guests can top their own eggs with garnishes.
Here's what to include:
- Buttery, toasted panko breadcrumbs — a crunchy but not overwhelming nod to bagels
- Smoked salmon, cut into manageable pieces
- Minced chives (or, if you like, red onion — but the minced shallot in our deviled egg filling already gently evokes the red onion on a bagel and lox platter)
- A dollop of crème fraîche stirred into the yolk mixture, in place of cream cheese
Deviled egg recipe basics
Pop over to our classic deviled eggs post to learn everything you could ever want to know about making, storing, and partying with great deviled eggs.
- 1 dozen peeled perfect hard-boiled eggs
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons crème fraîche
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup panko
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 4 ounces smoked salmon
- Slice each egg in half lengthwise and carefully remove yolks to a medium bowl.
- Mash yolks well with a fork.
- Add mayonnaise, crème fraîche, mustard, salt, and pepper and continue mashing and blending with the fork until yolk mixture is creamy. Stir in shallot.
- Using a piping bag fitted with a plain tip, a resealable plastic bag with one of the bottom corners snipped off, or a spoon, pipe or spoon the yolk mixture back into the egg halves.
- In a small frying pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add panko and cook, stirring frequently and watching carefully, until lightly browned. Let cool for a few minutes before proceeding.
- Shortly before serving, garnish each deviled egg with a small piece of smoked salmon, a few capers, a sprinkle of chives, and a sprinkle of toasted panko.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.