As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This healthy and hearty skillet of baked eggs atop creamy Yukon gold potatoes, feta and intermittently crispy kale makes a great breakfast, brunch or dinner.
Baked eggs are equally great for breakfast, brunch, or dinner. We love this version for its hearty, healthful vibe and its hands-off cooking.
A hearty and healthful take on baked eggs
I love this kind of meal. Lots of savory flavors. Textural elements in friendly competition. Whole foods enhanced just enough to coax out their best natural qualities. One pan. Oven only.
The cooking time takes about an hour but is almost entirely hands-off, giving you a built-in window to grab a glass of wine or a cup of coffee and chat or read or conspire to save the republic.
It’s also serious comfort food.
I’ve heard — I’ve HEARD — it’s good fuel for introvert activists. People calling Congress for the first time, who maybe need to be coaxed down from a little adrenaline spike at the end of the day 12 days in a row and counting.
Or maybe you’re just hungry? That’s cool too. At the end of the day, it’s what unites us all.
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 8 ounces lacinato kale
- 3 ounces crumbled feta
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°F with a rack in the center. Cut potatoes into cubes of about 3/4-inch. Place in a 12-inch cast iron skillet. Toss with the olive oil, salt, a few good grinds of pepper, the garlic, rosemary and thyme. Roast for 30 minutes, stirring after 20.
- Meanwhile, remove stems from kale and tear leaves into bite-sized pieces. After 30 minutes, stir kale into pan and roast 10 minutes more.
- Remove rosemary and thyme sprigs. Sprinkle feta over skillet contents, then crack in eggs. Bake for about 15 minutes, checking after 10, until eggs are set to your liking.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 479Total Fat: 22.1gCarbohydrates: 49.7gFiber: 7.8gProtein: 23.9g