Smoky Potato, Corn, and White Bean Stew
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
You’ve gotta love a time of year when bean stew is trending. So sexy, right? Heyyy, baby — is that performance fleece you’re wearing? And what’s in the mug? Oh! Smoky white bean stew with corn and potatoes! And smoked paprika? Is that even safe for work?
Yeah. It’s racy. But I fit in well in this world, nestled among peas and tender chunks of potato.
Here’s a quick and comforting family dinner or week of lunches that relies heavily on pantry and freezer ingredients. I’ve been in a more practical mood recently (can you tell?), so rather than wax on about locally sourced ingredients, let’s just say that winter is full of days when leaving the house to go shopping doesn’t sound overly appealing. How hot is that?
This savory, comforting stew is made largely from pantry and freezer ingredients. It’s a great idea to keep in your back pocket.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chiles
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 16 ounces frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 15.5 ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 5 ounces baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- A few good grinds black pepper
- In a large pot (I used a 5 1/2 quart Dutch oven), warm the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are starting to soften and there's a touch of browning on the bottom of the pot.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the cumin, chile powder, and smoked paprika and cook, stirring constantly, one minute more.
- Stir in the vegetable broth, green chiles and oregano. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer and add potatoes. Cook, covered, until potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Uncover the pot. Add the corn, peas and beans and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Add the baby spinach and cook until wilted, a few minutes more.
- Off the heat, stir in the cilantro, lime juice and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and serve garnished with sour cream if you like.