As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
We believe that the role of the crisp is to bring out the best in the fruit and gently nudge it into party mode. Like a great dress, a crumble topping should accentuate the beauty of the wearer, not compete or overwhelm. This apple crisp recipe is simple, just the right amount sweet, and all about making the most of a bounty of apples.
“Baking apples” keep their shape when cooked. There are lots of varieties, depending on where you live. Braeburn, Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, Jonagold, and Pink Lady are all good bets.
For the apple filling
- 3 pounds baking apples
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
For the topping
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup flour
- 8 tablespoons butter, diced
- Preheat oven to 375°F with a rack in the center.
- To make the filling, peel, core, and slice the apples into 1/4-inch thick slices. Place them in a large mixing bowl and toss with the lemon juice. Sprinkle the sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt onto the apples and toss gently until the apples are evenly coated.
- To make the topping, toss together the oats, brown sugar, and flour in a small bowl. Add butter and use your fingers to pinch the butter into the flour mixture until it forms a coarse crumble with no loose bits of dry ingredients.
- Place a deep-dish pie plate or a two-quart oven-save dish onto a cookie sheet to catch any drips. Pour the apple mixture into the dish and sprinkle evenly with the topping.
- Bake until the filling is soft and bubbly and the topping is nicely browned, 65-75 minutes, covering loosely with aluminum foil when the topping is sufficiently browned (probably around the 45 minute mark). Let cool for 10 minutes or so before serving.
To make this recipe gluten-free, use certified gluten-free oats and a gluten-free flour blend such as this one.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 367Total Fat: 12gCarbohydrates: 61.5gFiber: 6.1gProtein: 3.4g