As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Apparently I first developed this brown rice lentil salad recipe for something called the four day diet? That’s the thing about having blogged for over a decade — all the fun, ill-advised shit you do is preserved for posterity though your own eloquent writing. Anyhoo, the salad is delicious, and it’s a great vegan dish for a party or for a week’s worth of lunches. So.
Basmati rice is just as easy to cook as regular rice, but its flavor and aroma are really extra-special. Same goes for Puy lentils.
- 1 1/2 cups brown basmati rice
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups French green lentils (lentilles du Puy), rinsed and picked over for stones
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons Herbes de Provence
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced small
- 1 small handful parsley leaves, minced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons champagne vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- To cook the rice, combine it in a medium pot with 3 cups water, 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce and the butter.
- Bring to a boil, then cover, lower the heat so that you see just a bit of steam escaping, and cook for 40 minutes without lifting the lid.
- Meanwhile, to cook the lentils, place them in a smallish pot with the bay leaf, Herbes de Provence, and a generous pinch of salt. Cover with about two inches of water, bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Drain the lentils and remove the bay leaf.
- Place the chopped red onion, bell pepper and parsley in a large bowl.
- When the rice and lentils are cooked, add them, too.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, the vinegar, the remaining tablespoon of soy sauce, and the black pepper until emulsified.
- Pour the dressing over the warm rice and lentils and toss to combine well.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 343Total Fat: 9.9gCarbohydrates: 52.7gFiber: 5.7gProtein: 12.2g