This brown rice recipe, inspired by Carolyn’s first-ever trip to Borough Market in London, makes a great vegan main dish alongside a big green salad. It would also work well as an everyday side dish or at the holidays.
This brown rice recipe is naturally vegan and gluten-free. Use any mix of mushrooms you like.
- 1 cup (uncooked) brown basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 6 cups mixed fresh mushrooms, cleaned and sliced (I used chanterelles, chestnuts, shiitakes, and oysters)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 ounces baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- Place the rice in a medium pot with two scant cups cold water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then cover, reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer, and cook until water is absorbed, about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a wide skillet.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until it starts to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook, still stirring occasionally, until they have reduced in volume by about half and reabsorbed any water they've given off during cooking, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, one minute more.
- Add the spinach to the pan and cook, stirring, until just wilted.
- When the rice and the mushroom mixture are both cooked, scrape the mushroom mixture into the pot with the rice.
- Add the soy sauce and chives and stir together gently but thoroughly.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 204Total Fat: 4gCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 5.7gProtein: 7g