As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Especially these days, shredding the crap out of things can be fun. If that’s not reason enough to make this Brussels sprouts hash, it’s also a quick and easy brunch or dinner — but I think we all know it’s reason enough.
A food processor with a feed tube makes quick work of shredding Brussels sprouts, but you can totally use a knife if you don't have a food processor.
Brussels sprouts hash: It's kind of a big deal
Hello, hello! Thanks for casually looking the other way while I took a little break from posting recipes this past week. There’s been a lot going on behind the scenes to keep Umami Girl moving forward, aaaaaand also we took a quick little vacation to San Diego to chill (although…in a warm way) and to hang out with good friends. I can’t believe it’s Friday already, but it is, and weekend brunches await. That’s why I’m sharing this quick and easy Brussels sprouts hash with bacon and poached eggs. It’s NBD and yet kind of a big deal. What more can you ask for from the first meal of the day?
Ten easy miles
Here’s something notable: I’ve just started training for my first half-marathon! Not gonna lie, it’s a little daunting — but I’m already feeling good about having a clear reason to run when I might have opted to take a pass a little too often otherwise. Sunday I’m supposed to do something called “10 easy miles,” which, as I said on Facebook, I’m assuming was created by one of those random phrase generators that spits out hilarious and meaningless groups of words.
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 4 ounces good bacon (see note)
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, divided
- 4 eggs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Fit a food processor with the slicing disk. Feed Brussels sprouts through the feed tube to shred. (If you don't have a food processor, you can carefully...and tediously...use a mandoline or slice sprouts with a knife.)
- Dice the bacon and place in a 12-inch skillet set over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until bacon is just about cooked to your liking. Spoon out and discard all but 2 tablespoons of fat from the pan. Add shallot and cook for two minutes or so, until becoming translucent. Stir in shredded Brussels sprouts and cook, stirring from time to time, until wilted and just tender. Off the heat, add 1 tablespoon of the vinegar and some freshly ground black pepper.
- Meanwhile, bring a pan of water to the gentlest simmer with the remaining two tablespoons of vinegar. Carefully crack eggs into the water, leaving plenty of space in between, and cook for 4 minutes. Divide hash between two shallow bowls and top with eggs. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Previously there was a note here that started with the phrase, "I rarely eat bacon, but when I do..." That note is no longer relevant.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 482Total Fat: 32.4gCarbohydrates: 22.8gFiber: 8.8gProtein: 27.4g