As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
These Norwegian Gold cupcakes (or cake!) with sour cream ganache frosting have been in our family since I can remember. They’re my go-to for my own birthday and that of our newly minted teenager.
The unusual mixing method (creaming butter and flour together for a full five minutes!) produces a cupcake with substance, almost reminiscent of pound cake.
The most spectacular cake recipe
These cupcakes come all the way from Norway and are made of solid gold. Okay, no, those are lies. But the recipe has shepherded our family through an average of three birthday parties a year for the past 37 years, which is more cupcakes than I’d care to count.
It uses an unusual mixing method — creaming the butter with the flour for five minutes to get things started — which is everything you’ve ever heard about what not to do with cake. But the results are so spectacular that I’ve never been able to understand why anyone would bother to make any other kind of cake ever, except that maybe they don’t have this recipe.
Well, now you do. And with that sort of urgency at stake, it’s about time I’ve gotten around to sharing it.
For the cake
- 1 ⅔ cups (190 grams) sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 5 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups (300 grams) sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon pure almond extract
For the sour cream ganache frosting
- 10 ounces semi-sweet chocolate (chocolate chips are fine)
- 1 cup sour cream
- Pinch of fine sea salt
For the cake or cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 325° F for cake or 375° F for cupcakes. Grease the bottom of a 10-inch tube or bundt pan, or line two cupcake pans with a total of 20 paper liners. Have all ingredients at room temperature.
- Beat flour and butter together for five minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add sugar, baking powder, salt and vanilla and almond extracts. Beat for two minutes more.
- For a cake, bake for about one hour, checking after fifty minutes. For cupcakes, bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes and then completely on a rack before frosting.
For the frosting
- When ready to frost cake or cupcakes, heat chocolate in a double-boiler or in the microwave in bursts until just melted.
- Stir until smooth, then stir in sour cream and salt.
- Spread onto completely cooled cake or cupcakes and top with sprinkles or other decorations if you like. Frosting will set over time.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 287Total Fat: 16.2gCarbohydrates: 33.1gFiber: 1.3gProtein: 4.6g