As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
These lovely little golden things — our favorite vanilla poached apricots — are delicious served with whipped cream; over yogurt, ice cream, or oatmeal; or as is.
These vanilla poached apricots are among our favorite east-coast party tricks to make pretty good apricots into very good apricots.
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ vanilla bean, split open lengthwise and seeds scraped out
- Zest of 1 lemon, peeled into strips with a vegetable peeler
- Big pinch of salt
- 15 firm-ripe apricots, halved and pitted
- In a medium pot, combine the water, sugar, vanilla bean (both pod and seeds), lemon zest and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, and boil for one minute.
- Add the apricots, gently arranging them in the pot to submerge as many as possible. Reduce the heat to maintain a low simmer, adjusting as necessary. Poach the apricots for about 5 minutes, until they're as soft as you'd like them. You'll probably need to shift them around gently in the pot to give them equal time in the liquid.
- Remove the apricots to a bowl and pour the liquid overtop. Let cool completely at room temperature, about 90 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 89Total Fat: 0.5gCarbohydrates: 21.5gFiber: 1.5gProtein: 1.1g