Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Breast
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Instant Pot shredded chicken breast is easy, fast, and hands-off to make, and it’s SUPER versatile. You can make it plain and simple or add seasonings to complement the final dish in which you’ll be using the chicken. We add it to tacos, chili, salads, soups, and more.
Why we love this recipe
Our Instant Pot shredded chicken is tender, juicy, and flavorful. It’s amenable to so many different uses, from simple meal prep for a week’s worth of lunches to chicken salad to avgolemono soup to enchiladas.
And, because we use the Instant Pot, you can set it and forget it. Start to finish, it takes about 30 minutes, with only about five minutes of hands-on time.
Plus, having high-quality protein on hand for the week can help keep family dinners feeling easy and nutrition goals in sight. Win win win.
Our favorite source for meat
For years, we’ve been sourcing our meat from Butcher Box. We love this curated meat delivery service, which provides grass-finished beef, heritage breed pork, organic chicken, and more from small farms direct to the customer. You can learn more in our extensive Butcher Box review and unboxing.
Ingredients for Instant Pot shredded chicken
You don’t need much to make this recipe. You can keep it basic or add seasonings per the suggestions below. You’ll need:
- Two pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth (you can use water if you don’t have broth, but the broth imparts some nice flavor)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Optional seasonings — see the next section for suggestions
Seasonings for shredded chicken
You can add herbs and spices depending on how you’ll be using the shredded chicken. Here are some of our favorite combinations.
For tacos and other Mexican-inspired food
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- OR 1 tablespoon of your favorite prepared taco seasoning
For a wide variety of uses, from chicken salad to green salads
- 2 teaspoons herbs de Provence
- OR 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- OR 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
For Greek-inspired dishes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
How to make Instant Pot shredded chicken breast
Here’s all you need to do to make this quick and easy recipe. You can see all the steps in action in the video that accompanies this post.
- Pat the chicken breasts dry with paper towels.
- Pour the chicken broth into the Instant Pot and add salt and any additional seasonings that you’re using.
- Arrange the chicken breasts in a single layer in the Instant Pot.
- Close the Instant Pot lid and set the vent to the sealing position.
- Set the IP to manual, high pressure, for 8 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes before carefully doing a manual release. We like to use a towel, our tongs, or a wooden spoon to turn the valve.
- Shred the chicken with two forks, either directly in the pot or on a cutting board.
- Place the chicken back into the pot and stir it up with the cooking liquid. That’s it!
How to store shredded chicken
The chicken will keep well, tightly sealed in a container in the fridge, for a week. You can store it right in the cooking liquid to keep it from drying out.
Can you freeze shredded chicken?
Sure can. You can freeze it in individual portions if you like, to add to your favorite dishes. Use it within about three months.
Ideas for using shredded chicken breast
Some of our favorite ways to use shredded chicken are:
- Tacos, enchiladas, or nachos
- Avgolemono soup
- Chicken poblano soup
- Chicken salad
- Cobb salad
- On a simple sandwich with lettuce, tomato, and mayo
- Chicken and bean chili
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Additional seasonings, optional: See the notes section below for suggestions
- Pat chicken breasts dry with paper towels.
- Pour chicken broth into Instant Pot and add salt and additional seasonings, if using.
- Arrange chicken breasts in a single layer in the Instant Pot.
- Close lid and set vent to sealing.
- Cook on manual, high pressure, for 8 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes before carefully doing a manual release.
- Shred chicken with two forks, either in the pot or on a cutting board. Place chicken back into pot and stir with cooking liquid.
- Chicken will keep well, tightly sealed in the fridge, for a week. You can store it right in the cooking liquid.
You can add one of the following groups of seasonings, depending on what you'd like to use the chicken for:
- For tacos, chilis, and other Mexican food, add: 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, OR 1 tablespoon of a premade taco seasoning. After cooking, stir in the juice of one lime.
- For chicken salad, green salads, and sandwiches add: 2 teaspoons dried herbes de Provence OR poultry seasoning OR Italian seasoning
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.