As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
When you’re ready to take your deviled egg recipe game to the next level, look no further than our ultimate miso deviled eggs. There’s a lotta special going on here. For starters, we swap regular mayo for our fave Japanese Kewpie mayo (though it’s not imperative that you do). Then we layer in a ton of wildly satisfying umami-rich ingredients. You’re left with a platter full of two-bite bliss to share with friends and family, and maybe pair with a cocktail. Here’s how to do it.
What makes our miso deviled eggs ultimate?
We’re so glad you asked. We’ve combined two of Umami Girl’s favorite basic recipes — classic deviled eggs and shiitake bacon — and added a Japanese-inspired panoply of umami-rich ingredients. This combination is inspired by our super-popular vegetarian ramen. There’s:
- Kewpie mayo (if you like)
- Miso paste
- Toasted sesame oil
- Shiitake bacon
Deviled egg recipe basics
Pop over to our classic deviled eggs post to learn everything you could ever want to know about making, storing, and partying with great deviled eggs.
- 1 dozen peeled perfect hard-boiled eggs
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (see note)
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste
- 1 teaspoon tamari or other good soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon mirin
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup shiitake bacon, plus 24 pieces to garnish
- Sriracha sauce, to garnish
- Gomasio, for sprinkling
- Slice each egg in half lengthwise and carefully remove yolks to a medium bowl. Mash yolks well with a fork.
- Add mayonnaise, miso, tamari, mirin, rice vinegar, toasted sesame oil, and pepper and continue mashing and blending with the fork until yolk mixture is creamy. Finely chop the 1/4 cup of shiitake bacon and stir into yolk mixture.
- Using a piping bag fitted with a large star tip or plain tip, a resealable plastic bag with one of the bottom corners snipped off, or a spoon, pipe or spoon the yolk mixture back into the egg halves.
- Garnish each egg half with a piece of shiitake bacon, a dot of sriracha and a sprinkle of gomasio.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 76Total Fat: 6.2gCarbohydrates: 0.3gFiber: 0.1gProtein: 3.2g