Vanilla-poached apricots and two-day-old baby chicks. Both so perfect they’ve stunned me to silence. Let’s just enjoy it while it lasts, shall we?
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split open lengthwise and seeds scraped out
- Zest of 1 lemon, peeled into strips with a vegetable peeler
- Big pinch of salt
- 15 firm-ripe apricots, halved and pitted
- In a medium pot, combine the water, sugar, vanilla bean (both pod and seeds), lemon zest and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, and boil for one minute.
- Add the apricots, gently arranging them in the pot to submerge as many as possible. Reduce the heat to maintain a low simmer, adjusting as necessary. Poach the apricots for about 5 minutes, until they're as soft as you'd like them. You'll probably need to shift them around gently in the pot to give them equal time in the liquid.
- Remove the apricots to a bowl and pour the liquid overtop. Let cool completely at room temperature, about 90 minutes.