As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This is a great all-purpose homemade pickling spice recipe that you can use for our homemade pickles. The flavors in the spice mix complement a wide variety of vegetables, not just cucumbers.
If you don’t have a mortar and pestle, 1. It might be time to get one, but 2. For now you can crush the toasted seeds on a cutting board with the side of a chef’s knife.
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons hot red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons allspice berries
- 1 tablespoon ground mace
- 2 small cinnamon sticks, crushed or broken into pieces
- 24 bay leaves, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- Place peppercorns, mustard seeds, and coriander seeds into a small pan and set over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, adjusting heat as necessary to ensure spices don't burn. Keep lid handy in case seeds pop. Cool slightly before proceeding.
- Pour pan contents into a mortar crush with pestle.
- Combine crushed seeds with other spices and mix thoroughly.
- Store in a tightly sealed container for up to a few months.
Use this homemade pickling spice in our Homemade Pickles.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0