Frozen Monkey Chocolate Banana Smoothie
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This chocolate banana smoothie — a serious regular in our smoothie rotation — is inspired by Hoboken, New Jersey’s now long-defunct Frozen Monkey cafe, which used to make a similar milkshake with Tasti D Lite as a base.
Their version fit perfectly into my urban 20-something lifestyle, in which, for better or worse, coffee and Tasti D were each a featured food group. These days I prefer to whiz up my own with a combination of frozen bananas and homemade almond milk standing in for the frozen dessert.
Psst…Looking for the beet juice recipe that used to share a spot in this post? Here you go.
Use your favorite dairy or nondairy milk for this smoothie. We love it with our homemade cashew or almond milk!
- 2 frozen bananas, sliced
- 4 shots espresso, cooled
- 1 1/2 cups milk (see note)
- 2 teaspoons raw cacao powder or regular cocoa powder
- 2 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter or PB2 powder, optional
- Combine all ingredients in the jar of a blender and blend on high speed until perfectly smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Divide between two glasses and serve immediately.
You can use any milk of your choice. I usually use soy milk or homemade almond or cashew milk for mine.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.