Recently on Serious Eats: two very enticing — and very different! — ways to energize. The Frozen Monkey smoothie is a magic elixir of coffee, chocolate, and banana inspired by Hoboken NJ’s long-defunct cafe of the same name. Power Potion is so named because of some pretty fascinating evidence that beet juice almost magically improves athletic performance. What’s not to love? Check out the recipes below, and click on the photos to read the full posts on Serious Eats.
Talk to you soon.
Frozen Monkey Coffee Chocolate Banana Smoothie
This smoothie is inspired by Hoboken NJ's now long-defunct Frozen Monkey cafe, which used to make a similar shake with Tasti D Lite as a base. Their version fit perfectly into my urban 20-something lifestyle, in which, for better or worse, coffee and Tasti D were each a featured food group. These days I prefer to whiz up my own with a combination of frozen bananas and homemade almond milk standing in for the frozen dessert.
- 2 frozen bananas, sliced
- 4 shots espresso, cooled
- 1 1/2 cups milk (see note above)
- 2 teaspoons raw cacao powder or regular cocoa powder
- 2 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
Power Potion Beet Carrot Apple Juice
This brightly colored juice is a sweet combination of beets, carrots, apples, clementines, and ginger.
- 2/3 cup (5 1/2 ounces) fresh beet juice from about 2 medium beets, including some stems
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) fresh carrot juice from about 2 medium carrots
- 2 teaspoons (1/3 ounce) fresh ginger juice from an about 1-inch piece ginger
- 1/3 cup (5 1/2 ounces) fresh clementine juice from about 2 clementines, peeled
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) fresh apple juice from about 1 large apple, cored and quartered